View Single Post
Old 12-11-2017, 06:32 AM   #23
Dave W

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrated View Post
Your 6/4 cord is actually rated at 55amps. There are only two current carrying conductors in the cord as the conductor that is used to carry an unbalanced current from the other conductors is not considered to be a current carrying conductor. This unbalance conductor is the white neutral wire. Hope this helps.

Well maybe but according to this site (https://www.wireandcableyourway.com/8-AWG-2-AWG-SOOW/), 6/4 SOOW cable is rated 45 amps/leg.

Then since we have gotten so far afield from the OP question, I have to add to his question, viability as fr as availability and how much it will cost. First of all, not every available wire supplier has this in his normal stock and you may need to add a shipping charge. Then there is that cost for at least a 50 foot run. The noted above supplier has UL rated at $3.40/foot. Next you need to add a Marinco or similar twist on female connector, another $75-100 bucks and male end at another $20 or so bucks for decent (not CAMCO) quality.

Would I make it shorter then 50 feet? No, especially after having sites in the past 3 years we have needed every bit of the 60-70 feet of my collection of either 30 or 50 amp cords. Or park in a poor location on the site.

Nice, but unless you have a real good supply of cheap wire and connectors, not much of a good way to economize as well as ease of cable storage.

But, as the old saying goes, to each his own
Dave W is offline   Reply With Quote