View Single Post
Old 05-09-2018, 05:01 PM   #45
madmaxmutt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Well, by asking Champion Power Equipment (the experts in Champion generators) the question, this is their response:

"What is a grounding rod attachment?

Updated 6 days ago by Scott Henning

The short answer is you do not need to do any additional grounding as the machine is grounded to its own frame. Only if it is being installed as a permanent fixture attached to your home. If this applies, read on...

The recommendation for a grounding rod is best used for a permanent location, such as outside of your house for emergency use. A copper rod driven into the ground and a copper wire attached from the rod to the generator frame will give you solid protection against electrical shock. A GFI (Ground Fault Interrupter) is also another attachment that is effective against electrical shock. It is recommended to speak with a licensed electrician if you are considering this type of permanent installation. If you are running your generator in shallow water areas, it is a must to attach the generator to a grounding rod."

http://help.championpowerequipment.c...rod-attachment

So, at least for me (I have Champion generators), I'm not going to risk driving a copper stake through the campground water supply and just keep on "keeping on" like I have for the past 15 years. For me, doesn't seem like this ought to be "rocket science" and there's no need to overthink the solution.
I read that post. I would like them to talk specifically about an RV attached via a 30/50 amp cord boondocking. I would love a manufacturer to put this to rest.
madmaxmutt is offline   Reply With Quote