Thread: Warranty work
View Single Post
Old 08-12-2017, 05:15 PM   #7
chuckster57
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by sportingrh View Post
I feel they would be far better off to match there sales and service departments to there sales projections. Maybe consider subletting work out. Better yet inform customer of potential problems with the way service works, oh yeah have the units ckd and ready. 7 out of 9 of my problems were minor.

Sent from my QTASUN1 using Tapatalk

So hire a bunch of techs based on sales projections..and when sales don't match, what do you do with the techs you hired?

Some dealerships will PDI every unit when it reaches the dealership, deal with warranty items and then put it on the sales line. When it sells a "quick check" is done, pretty much just a leakdown test on the LP system. And the buyer can take his new unit home that day. If customers have been in/out of the unit while on the line who knows what they have played with or broken. New customer is stuck trying to deal with repairs. There are 2 dealers near me that won't even do warranty work after the sale.

Some dealerships ( the one I work at) don't perform a PDI until the unit is sold, and deal with warranty items before delivery. Even so, some times things still break and the customer has to deal with scheduling a repair. Which is better?

On to the topic of QUALIFIED techs: RV's are becoming more and more complex, and dealerships can negotiate warranty labor rates based on documented training. Training costs are not something many dealerships spend money on. RVIA will "certify" much like ASE for the auto industry, but I know from personal knowledge that the dealership has to pay for the 4hour on-line test and it ain't cheap. Fail and your money is gone, no refund. I am a "registered" tech because I finished the first part and past like 8 tests in different areas. I'm not "certified" because they don't want to pay me for 4 hrs. And the test fee.

What's the answer? I have no idea, I just keep on keeping on...

2012 Copper Canyon 273FWRET being towed by a 1994 Ford F350 CC,LB,Dually diesel.
Airlift 5000 bags, Prodigy brake control, 5 gauges on the pillar.Used to tow a '97 Jayco 323RKS.

Now an RVIA registered tech. Retired from Law enforcement in 2008 after 25+ yrs.
chuckster57 is offline   Reply With Quote