View Single Post
Old 05-30-2015, 08:19 PM   #10
cb1000rider
Gone Traveling

Hopefully the taring and feathering is unnecessary.

Can you show me a post where I've indicated that our trailers are horrible? I have indicated that all the 5th wheels I've seen aren't great build quality - but that includes other manufacturers too - it's the nature of creating a rolling house, I suppose. And I see a lot of posts about "quality" hierarchy within a manufacturer. This translates to trim level (in my head) and not quality - the manufacturing techniques are the same (at least within Keystone) - I haven't observed more attention to detail in the trim level. It took me a while to parse that out, so I may be slower than most.

Honestly, I've owned Jayco, Holiday Rambler, and at least one other brand. I honestly can't see any quality difference in a Keystone to a Jayco or an HR 5th wheel (mostly)- so I'm going to ask about it before I put money into a purchase. I know more about motor coaches, that's all I've owned - so I'm more comfortable there.

I've never said that any of you screwed up. I'm sorry you chose to take it that way. What I did say was that I just invested a lot of money into family fun and that I hope that I made the right choice - it'd be influenced if Keystone screwed up the customer service end (assuming I even need it).

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
You mention a BBB response. Response (singular)? Where? How many BBBs did you screen? Maybe some owners might hit up the BBB in Indiana where they are manufactured but elsewhere?
As I'm taking heat for being critical, I'm not going to reference the direct page. If you want it, PM me. I did have to sort through to find the right location. I screened probably 30+ responses. I also looked at complaints of other manufacturers for scale. I was attempting to be "fair"... At least in my head.

I WANT to hear from people like you that have never had a problem... That's the point ASKING and clearly investigating this forum - as there was almost ZERO information about the model I was interested in anywhere else. And I believe I've posted that I'm trying to sort out if Keystone just produces massive volume compared to other manufacturers, so the number of complaints may be in-line or actually below others. Manufacturing numbers, if actually available, would have been great data.

I think asking me not to read BBB reports is in-appropriate. That's part of pre-purchase diligence. I'm aware of consumer behavior and that even squeaky clean businesses often end up with unreasonable demanding consumers. You'll note that my concern with the BBB stuff wasn't the consumer complaints - as you get only one side, but the actual response of the business.

I now own the same brand that you do... So obviously happy customers like you have addressed some of my concerns. You'll also note that some of my posts (past) and hopefully future will be technical and helpful in nature - I largely repair all my own stuff, so hopefully I'll be able to add value to the forum.

I try not to post rumors. The biggest rumor I've investigated is trying to determine manufacture quality (not trim level) hierarchy for toy haulers as indicated by posts on other forums.. I think I've come to determine outside of framing technique (wood/aluminum), they're largely very similar. Differences are warranty, factory-direct to consumer support, trim/option level, and general satisfaction when there is a problem.

There are legitimate (identifiable) reports of pretty serious defects on the internet. It's NOT unique to Keystone. If you think that I'm implying that it is, I'm doing it wrong.

I am aware of a 5500 Onan Genset that was a big problem for Thor motorcoaches. It wasn't rumor - I had a similar issue myself with the same genset and worked with owners to help get a technical solution. I'm happy to refer you to those off-forum posts. Gensets shouldn't overheat. Thor was working with owners, but trying to drive a motorcoach in Texas when it's 105 out and you don't have house AC is not fun and is actually dangerous. I think that IS a big problem and I might be able to contribute to how to fix it if it's happening to Kenstone owners with the Onan 5500. Likely "warranty service" won't fix it if it's what I think it is... AT least not in the first 3 attempts. Once again: NOT unique to Keystone.

Again, I like to hear what you're saying in terms of positive comments. And I'd love to hear that Keystone has responded to consumers and worked out issues directly, easily, and in a timely manner - because all manufacturers have issues. Those stories would be excellent.

And lastly, I'm an owner too. Zero problems to date. I was just nervous prior to purchase on something that is non-trivial in terms of cost and right on the line of go/no-go. There are a number of posts by Carbon owners here on this forum that helped me make that "Buy" decision.
cb1000rider is offline   Reply With Quote