View Single Post
Old 12-14-2010, 07:50 PM   #3
geo

Lightbulb Heat in the basement

We have an Alpine 3640RL. You can see from the Keystone website that the Alpine is supposed to have the extra insulation and construction for cold weather. However, my own admitted OCD (that's Obsessive/Compulsive but I don't really think I have a Disorder) tendencies dictate that I need to have a backup for what supposedly Keystone has supplied to keep the plumbing and holding tanks warm. Because of an earlier problem (fresh water line kink), I was able to familiarize myself with the sub-basement area behind the basement. Keystone has done a good job of putting the plumbing in an area that should stay near the same temperature as the living area of the fiver. However, the freshwater tank is in a position removed from this common area - down a long run to end above the axles. The grey and black water tanks reside under the basement and sub-basement warmed area and are isolated from this warmed area by a plywood encased 6" styrofoam sub-floor. True, furnace heating ducts run to these areas (plus the WaterWorks area), but not the heat pump ducts. Also, there are no ducts that supply constant sub-basement warmed air to these two remote areas.

So, here comes my own modifications. Note: I will post more on this and pictures as I complete this modification during the Christmas holiday period.

I plan on using an Inboard/Outboard ski boat bilge blower (235 cfa/m) along with woodshop dust duct and fittings to outfit a quiet but constant air flow to these areas to hopefully keep the fresh water tank, waste tanks, and waste valve areas warmer.

I almost have all the parts gathered from ordering at Amazon.com. I'll try to post my progress by the end of the year. I haven't dug into the Montana basement area, so I don't know how it compares to the Alpine. But, with any luck, I might convince myself that I could camp with -40C temps and not have any freeze up. Just got to find those two 100# propane tanks to fit in the port side propane storage area, eh!

Regards,

Ron
Diesel 4x4, DRW, LB, CC
Comfort Ride Hitch
geo is offline   Reply With Quote