View Single Post
Old 03-26-2017, 07:59 AM   #9
JRTJH
Site Team

If you're trying to find "cool" in August, you'll definitely find it in the UP and northern Michigan, especially near the Great Lakes. Daytime temps away from the water will range into the 80's, possibly even the 90's, but when the sun falls below the horizon, temps will quickly drop to the 60's and maybe even lower. Bring a warm jacket (not just a wind breaker) or you'll be doing some shopping after the first night. Yup, the UP is the only place I've ever seen that stocks sweatshirts and jackets all summer long......

As for bugs, they are "available free of charge" in the UP from around "ice out" on the lakes until the first "hard freeze" so prepare for that. Bring "bug spray". Most locals use Avon Skin So Soft which is effective for no-see-ums and even deer flies. Most Avon stores now stock Skin So Soft "bug edition" (not sure of the actual marketing name) which has an added bug repellant already in the mix. That's what we buy and use religiously when sitting outside in the evenings. During the spring, even in the middle of the day, they'll "pack you away" without protection. Later in the year, most "cleared land" is pretty much bug free, but get away from the city and into the forest and you'll be very thankful for a bottle of Avon in your pocket....

Let me know when you get closer to your trip and I'll get you more information on things to see and do in the UP. There are several "lesser known must do" side trips that just make sense if you're only going to be here for a couple of weeks and some things that are "nice, but why" kinds of "time fillers".....

Enjoy your planning, that's always a fun part of any trip.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote