View Single Post
Old 11-05-2019, 06:22 PM   #10
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by tech740 View Post
I use the Andersen ultimate steel version and I cannot find in the Michigan MCL where what you cite is listed. I actually found a case from the early 2000's that says the other way. Can you provide the MCL language about the ball hitch requiring chains?
While the language of Section 257.721(3) could technically be extended to fifth wheel or gooseneck semi trailers, the FMCSR, as adopted into state law, exempts these vehicles from safety chains. To prevent interference with interstate commerce, it is the policy of the Motor Carrier Division to not apply Section 257.721(3) to vehicles that use fifth wheel or gooseneck connecting devices.
Please keep in mind that I am not a "legal expert" and this is "my opinion" based on the way I interpret the Michigan code. It may (or may not) be the "legislative intention" as the code was written or amended....

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/(S(x3h...me=mcl-257-721

Paragraph 257.721(3) is referencing "trailers using conventional hitches, pintle hitches and bumper attached hitches".

Paragraph 257.721(4) references "conventional fifth wheel hitches".

Paragraph 257.721(5)(a,b,c) establish legality for towing a second trailer <double towing/triple towing> behind a fifth wheel.

The definition of "fifth wheel" is established in Paragraph 257.721(3) and the last half of the last sentence in that paragraph states, "the safety chains or devices required under this subsection shall conform to the federal motor carrier safety regulations requirements contained in 49 CFR 393.70(d)(5)."

You can read the requirements for fifth wheel hitches and for "other forms of hitches" in 49CFR 393.70. In that reference, sub-paragraph (b)(3) provides specific instructions related to the "king pin". The next paragraph then establishes requirements for "full trailers". In that sub-paragraph (d) 1-8, safety chain requirements are addressed.

You can find 49CFR 393.70 here: https://www.customsmobile.com/regula..._section393.70

As I said, this is "my take" on the "scrambled egg mix" called the Michigan code. I'm no expert and can't say that I'm correct or that I'm not correct, just what I think the rules mandate. I have no "skin in the game" (so to speak) as I tow with a conventional fifth wheel hitch, not a "gooseneck or adapter style hitch" so I've not spent any extensive time researching what doesn't apply to my towing equipment.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is online now   Reply With Quote