View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 11:40 AM   #25
C.LeeNick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave W View Post
That's a cheap design to manufacture that goes back, in my experience, to at least my long gone 1979 Mustang. That Mustang and the '86 that followed it used the exact same bearing part number that Dexter uses in their failure prone 42mm NevrLube 5.2/6K axles. I replaced the axles in both Mustangs (same bearings) as well as the NevrLube axles in our SOB 5er(went to E-Z Lube on that 5er)
It's been a while since I've worked on the axle of my Jeep, I'm pretty sure I'm remembering correctly that it's a Dana 35...I went through a a few bearings over about a five year period, and had to replace the axle shaft two or three times. (On time heat from friction resulted in setting the differential lube on fire..that was a good one!) I, and a few other knowledgeable Jeep folk, were pretty sure I had a bent axle tube. I was searching for a new housing, then, after the last repair, it just stopped giving me trouble for some reason. It's been probably 60,000 miles or better since then, without a hitch. Weird!
C.LeeNick is offline   Reply With Quote