View Single Post
Old 08-18-2017, 07:43 PM   #49
busterbrown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gegrad View Post
So my question to the group is this: I will soon be upgrading my trailer kings. Gonna drop the 14s and go to a 15" Wheel.
^^^^ This is what I did earlier this year. I upgraded both wheels and tires to help with load reserve capacities. My tires where 'up-sized' to 225 75 15 LRD. The biggest hiccup was acquiring tires that had relatively newer DOT dates. Discount Tire matched both Amazon and Walmart's pricing but their inventory was old. DOT was approximately 12 months old so I refused that set. My second attempt was with Amazon. Same thing: stale (albeit new) tires with a year of warehouse time. Third time wasn't a charm either as Walmart.com sent similarly dated tires.

After three merchants were unable to get a "newer" batch, I decided to try the higher LRE tire. Started with Walmart.com. They arrived at a local store for pickup. Bam! Only 12 weeks old, not 54 like the rest.

The next challenge was finding a tire center that could mount and balance trailer tires in the "Lug centric" fashion. The DT's, Pep Boy's, Wallyworld's, Firestone's, and independents in my area didn't own the lug wheel balancing adapters. I must have called 10 places. I finally found a Belle Tire store that had the adapters and paid a premium over the "other guys".

Now, my reserves are north of 50% and the wheels are properly balanced.
Hensley SwiftArrow Control Hitch with 1000 lb Spring Bars
Me, DW, (3) little DS's, and 1 rambunctious Boston Terrier

busterbrown is offline   Reply With Quote