View Single Post
Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #23
sonofcy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
If you are afraid of snow/ice, a good bypass is SR101 along the Oregon coast is really nice, just takes 2 times as long. But I-5 is the way to go. As I said bad (meaning stuff) on road are normally short lived. Sometimes the road maybe closed at points overnight mainly and if chains are needed you would be putting 1 set on truck and 1 set on trailer. If you use one of the road advisory checks, if you think it's too bad, overnight before you get there. Go though in daylight.
I solved the problem the easy way, I changed the schedule a bit after discovering two facts. It turns out my out of province time is based on the calendar year so since we are crossing the year end that time is spread over two years. The US 6 month rule however is based on a rolling 12 months and is thus our limiting factor. I made a small change in the east coast portion of the trip so now I have a schedule for the SW of Oct 15 to Mar 15. That is leaving two weeks later and coming back 2 weeks earlier than normal. Still a slight chance of the white stuff but much better than Nov 1 to Feb 28. I still think I will take 101 though for the scenery.
sonofcy is offline   Reply With Quote