View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 08:21 PM   #13
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by sourdough View Post
We're in a little farming town called Lamesa (about 9400). About 55 mi. S of Lubbock and about 55 mi. N of Midland/Odessa; about 60 mi. E of the NM state line. Almost at the corner where the state line turns from N/S to E/W and runs to El Paso. We are called "W TX" by those out here but in reality, to me, we are on the "south plains" of TX but no one has any idea what that is.

For us folks Dumas is the panhandle as is most anything N of Plainview. Lubbock would start the S Plains but is called W TX as well. At Midland that would be true W TX and by the time you get to Pecos/Van Horn it is far west TX and then on to El Paso and down to Big Bend.

And yes, the panhandle has weather like I described. Never thought that an area in TX could get so cold and the wind blow so hard. Lived in Guymon, OK for about 2 1/2 years (not too far from Dumas) and when I left told DW I had no intention of ever living in that area again. The RV that was hit by a tornado I described in my previous post was in Happy, TX several years ago; S of Dumas a bit.
Seems the south plains & the panhandle is where most if the storms start & head northeast from there.
We moved from the panhandle to the DFW area & the DW was in total awe the first good rain storm that the rain came straight down & not sideways.
When we meet folks traveling & they ask about the weather in our areas of Texas my response is that it's always too something, too hot, too cold, too windy, too stormy, but seldom too pretty, but for 45 years didn't know any difference.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote