View Single Post
Old 06-01-2019, 04:29 PM   #12
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelin texans View Post
Bad weather can hit anywhere across the country.
A few years back we were parked in central Michigan visiting family, while sitting outside I told DW I didn't like the looks of what few clouds I could see through the trees so we headed to the bathhouse for cover, just as we went in other people started coming & said "we figured if the Texans were taking cover we better go", just then the tornado siren started, storm lasted about 20 minutes with lots of wind & buckets of rain & then sunshine.
As already stated the very last place you want to ride out a storm is in a rv, get out, don't try to reposition it, just take cover.
Just curious Danny what part of W. Texas are you in, we grew up in the panhandle (Dumas) & a lot folks call that west Texas, but to me w Texas is Midland/Odessa to El Paso.
With the winds & storming you're describing sounds exactly like the panhandle, BTDT.

We're in a little farming town called Lamesa (about 9400). About 55 mi. S of Lubbock and about 55 mi. N of Midland/Odessa; about 60 mi. E of the NM state line. Almost at the corner where the state line turns from N/S to E/W and runs to El Paso. We are called "W TX" by those out here but in reality, to me, we are on the "south plains" of TX but no one has any idea what that is.

For us folks Dumas is the panhandle as is most anything N of Plainview. Lubbock would start the S Plains but is called W TX as well. At Midland that would be true W TX and by the time you get to Pecos/Van Horn it is far west TX and then on to El Paso and down to Big Bend.

And yes, the panhandle has weather like I described. Never thought that an area in TX could get so cold and the wind blow so hard. Lived in Guymon, OK for about 2 1/2 years (not too far from Dumas) and when I left told DW I had no intention of ever living in that area again. The RV that was hit by a tornado I described in my previous post was in Happy, TX several years ago; S of Dumas a bit.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote