View Single Post
Old 09-13-2018, 07:40 PM   #3
bobbecky

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGriff View Post
Hello all.

We are going down the Oregon coast next week with staying at Sunset Bay CG and Nehalem Bay State Park CG.
We love having campfires and I know we can't bring firewood with us or take it to different campsites, Sunset to Nehalem , but I am wondering if the firewood is dry or close to it and what about kindling ?
I have read that the camp host takes care of this ?

Are there any tips you may have ?

TIA
It's not the moisture content that is the problem, but it's the critters that can still be inside the wood, and those are the problem. There are enough dead trees out west that have died due to various beetles and the powers that be would just as soon not have anyone importing any more varieties to their area. It does not matter if it is full sized logs or kindling, just follow the rules, and this is just like the inspection of boats entering Oregon, so the critters attached to the hulls aren't brought in contaminating lakes and rivers. We are currently in Central California, and it is extremely sad to see all the dead pine trees in the Sierras. I can imagine how the logging industry in Oregon does not want that kind of destruction to occur in their forests, it would really destroy the logging economy.
bobbecky is offline   Reply With Quote