View Single Post
Old 10-18-2018, 09:10 AM   #27
cdotson

It's the time of year for them to invade campers. We had an infestation last year at a nearby state park the first day it was cool enough to not need the A/C my daughter turned it off as we left for a few hours. Upon returning in the early evening there were nearly 1,000 of the things in our 18' camper.

They seemed to mostly come in around the A/C perimeter. I think the vibration of it running and the cooler air discourages them.

We've found that there are certain smells/odors that repel them. We've kept dryer sheets in our camper as we've heard about them repelling mice (never had a mouse problem) and we crammed the dryer sheets around the gaps of the air conditioner. This kept more from entering even after we pulled the trailer home. I've head that they also don't like Peppermint Oil. The smell of their fallen brethren seems to actually be a repellent to other stink bugs in addition to humans.

With the trailer home removing the remaining bugs was easy with the use of a shop vac. Just try to keep the vacuum exhaust separate from the air you're breathing.
cdotson is offline   Reply With Quote