View Single Post
Old 07-29-2018, 09:28 AM   #17
Cracker

It’s just a standard 8’ long, 5” square fiberglass fence post, with a fiberglass rain gutter for the slide out - probably a stock 10’ long piece. The end pieces are cut from a 1/2” thick plastic cutting board that you can buy at Walmart. I’ve used these cutting boards for dozens of projects. I used locking hasps - but any kind of hasp that you could secure in a closed position would be OK. I used 1 1/4” diameter dowels for the end handles and separators. Just be careful to keep the attachment screws short and clear of the slideout. I provided a door on each end although access will generally be from dump side of the trailer. The last thing is to drill a few holes in the bottom side of the fence post for drainage. If you drill the holes right in the center the gutter will provide sort of a bug stop while still allowing for drainage. I used oak cleats to attach the fence post to the old bumper with all-thread rod. The middle “separator” was needed due to the support bolts holding the spare tire bracket. I considered using a piece of aluminum angle but I had the oak in my shop and the rest is history! You could simplify things a bit by eliminating the doors - but that would turn it into a great critter house.
Cracker is offline   Reply With Quote