View Single Post
Old 06-16-2019, 07:20 AM   #48
Bostongone

Not the right way!

From post#36 I have to jump in here and say that this is not the correct way to adjust brakes!
This is what I was told to do by a big trailer/RV repair near Palm Springs Cal. First. Using a small bottle jack, jack up just one tire at a time (DO NOT JACK UP THE TRAILER) till it can spin freely (put the jack so it will be between the u-bolts on just one tire at a time). Now with the one tire clear off the ground go and pull the emergency break cord switch (MUST HAVE TRAILER BATTERY HOOKED UP) also having the trailer plugged in to 120 supply would keep the battery charged up while you do this to all wheels with breaks one at a time. I was told to readjust breaks so that they would still spin just a little while you try to turn them using a lot of your body force to turn them. I was told you want the trailer to help stop the truck without just locking up the breaks and just skidding.
Yes, you should raise each tire individually but the adjuster should be rotated to the point that wheel starts to drag and then the adjuster should be backed off until the drag stops with no voltage applied to the wheel. Then the brake controller can be the judge of how much voltage to apply to the magnets to provide the correct and necessary braking. If done the recommended way in post #36 the brake controller would have to apply full power and only get minimal (using a lot of your body force to turn them) stopping force.