View Single Post
Old 02-07-2019, 04:36 PM   #42
JimSchwenk

The longer the tow vehicle vs trailer length, the harder it is to maneuver and control when backing up. This is a lot easier for you 5-er guys, it's almost like a real truck with respect to the shorter pivot point.
While pulling double trailers with a single axle tractor and running the local terminal's CDL driver school for 11 years, I found that backing up a 53' trailer with one of those short cabs (just like a yard horse) was a piece of cake. Not so with a sleeper and a short "pup" trailer.
When you get to pickups and travel trailers, lots of folks have issues because your TV is almost as long as the TT in some cases. Lots of wiggling back there. But having said that, I had a 2015 2500 HD with an 8 foot bed and I'd do it again. As others have said, you got to haul stuff, too, at least I do. Dimensional lumber, drywall, plywood etc is nice when it slides right in there and the gate closes. BTW, my Allentown PA dealer had to get my truck from a dealer in Syracuse, 8' beds are scarce because of the big turning radius for the average homeowner. To each his own, as the other guys have said.
JimSchwenk is offline   Reply With Quote