View Single Post
Old 09-13-2019, 06:38 PM   #24
LHaven

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookinwitdiesel View Post
Finally got to test my system in the wild today. Previously had only used it in my driveway attached to my admittedly very good home WiFi (UniFi APs and Gigabit FiOS). So I am at Camp Hatteras RV park in Rodanthe, NC on the sound side, and their WiFi is garbage! At least what I can see from my spot. Maybe a mast will help, currently have the Loco M2 inside on my board over the microwave. After trying a couple different directions and hot spots....I am currently getting WiFi from my phones hotspot which was roughly 100x faster than the park WiFi haha
Most camp internet service is garbage.

It used to be that the camp had one antenna, and you could finesse that problem by carrying your own directional equipment. You got reasonably good service, because most of the other campers couldn't even connect, leaving more bandwidth for you.

Today, the typical setup is that a camp has great signal distribution and many access points (because they are relatively cheap and you only pay for them once), but then funnels the whole mess through a tiny channel to the outside world (often telco DSL) because a commercial pipe that would serve their entire park effectively would run four figures monthly plus a big whack to install. (I know whereof I speak, because that was my business for the last 13 years.) And, you know, I sympathize with this, because you can't get around the economics, and spending a wad on "good internet" affords a transient park negligible commercial advantage at camper decision time.

I regularly try connecting to the camp WiFi with my on-board equipment. If it works adequately, great -- if it doesn't, I'll turn on my iPhone hotspot and use my cell service (hopefully, my carrier reaches the camp).

The only downside of this is that I can't contact my trailer's inCommand when I'm not there, e.g., to check if I need to switch from heat to AC to keep the pups out of trouble. Camp WiFi is a requirement for that sort of thing.