View Single Post
Old 09-09-2019, 02:30 PM   #51
travelin texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee View Post
Hi,

Since you and I both have a vested interest in this problem let me run this possibility by you.

With the water system hooked up (city water or with a primed pump) the system is pressurized to around 45 psi.... the naturally occurring air pocket floating in the top of the hot water tank is compressed to the same 45 psi level.

Now.... If you push the toilet pedal to flush it,... The compressed air pocket will expand and will force water out of the tank through the normal cold water input to the tank straight to the toilet via the short pex connection.... Carrying with it sediment from the tank. This would only occur when city water is disconnected and/ or pump is off.

Before I hit the road one of the last things I do is release the water in the toilet bowl.... I was always amazed at the amount of water that would flow even when pump is off and city water is not connected.... the pressure must be coming partly from the air balloon in the hot water tank.

Opinions????????
I would not drain the toilet bowl before traveling!! That bowl full of water is only thing keeping the seal from releasing very smelly gases from your black tank into the RV. Yes I know the tank is vented through the roof, but without water in the bowl covering that tiny rubber seal it's also highly possible it's also vented in the bathroom.
In over 40 years rving I've never had water splash out of the toilet during travel & if it didn't happen going across the worst highways ever in Louisiana it would never happen.
When away from home do you shut the water off to your toilet & drain the bowl/tank in your house, if not why do it in your RV?
If you feel the need to release the pressure off the water lines before travel open a faucet, but leave the water in the toilet.
Replacement undetermined
travelin texans is offline   Reply With Quote