View Single Post
Old 09-06-2019, 06:59 AM   #1
mwemaxxowner

What are you thankful for today?

One of the most popular posts in a other forum I frequent, which also happens to be one that is sort of a "team building" kind of thing, is about what has made your day today.

I don't THINK I see anything like that here. If so...OOPS!

Anyway I'll go.

The last 2 years for me have been pretty rough. I bought a house at 19 years old as a fixer upper, then proceeded to never do any fix upping. Lol. A few years ago I met my wife we got married and had a child, and it became time to kick into high gear fixing this house up and getting out of there.

It was a nice private place in the boonies, but it was much too far for us to commute and take our daughter to school. We both work in the same town that is 30 miles from our old home.

We aren't exactly made of money, so I set out doing most of the repairs and upgrades myself. I spent all weekend every weekend, nights after work, etc trying to knock out projects on the house. I always felt like I was never making progress. My daughter would say "Daddy please stay in and play with me." I was turning down invites to all sorts of family functions because I needed progress to be happening. When you work 5.5 or 6 days a week, and you miss one weekend, that turns into quite the delay. Just a miserable time. But, for once, I had motivation to keep at it. It was wearing on my wife badly too, but she wanted us out. She didn't really like being in a home my ex wife and I picked out in years past.

I spent so much time on the crawl space it was ridiculous. My crawl was very low, in places I had to dig it out so I could squeeze between the joists. Rafter/floor joist repairs, vapor barrier, insulation, the typical paint and whatnot on the interior, refinishing hardwood floors, landscaping, interior doors, re roofing, all sorts of stuff, but we finally got it done.

It all paid off, though. When I finally got it finished, it went up on the market, we had 14 showings in the first day, and went under contract in just oVer 24 hours with multiple offers all over asking price. We settled at 10k over asking. Inspection went well, and in 6 weeks it was a done deal. We profited quite a bit, and we're able to pay off a lot of debt from bad decisions in the past on both our parts.

That was about 6 months ago, and we've been living with my dad since. We are grateful, but oh boy that has had its own set of challenges that have been trying.

Well, yesterday I signed the documents, and we're under contract on a very nice modular home! It's a lot model on a discontinued floor plan, and we swiped it at a steep discount. It's 1450 square feet downstairs, and a 650 square foot unfinished upstairs. I can't wait to give my daughter her own space again. All of the sacrifices have finally become worth it. We were actually close to deciding to live in our camper for now.

We have a nice piece of land we own free and clear in the town we work in. Literally across the street from the school my wife teaches at, and not 2 miles from my workplace.

The last photo is not ours, but the same model (with the upgraded atone facade). I haven't been able to get a good photo from the front yet, I'd get run over in the road. Lol

Also, since it's a lot model, it will be less than 4 weeks after underwriting is done before we're in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190905-125714.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	23561Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190905_121008417_HDR.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	139.6 KB
ID:	23562Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20190905_121031441_HDR.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	128.1 KB