View Single Post
Old 03-22-2018, 09:56 AM   #34
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhagfo View Post
I did not state I drive at excessive speed! I stated that the LT tires do have a lower weight rating, but in my case the tires are rated to carry that weight at 106 mph, this says to me at 60 to 65 mph I have carrying capacity reserve even if I am running at the tires max weight.

The majority of ST tires while having a 300# to 400# rating advantage, but only to speeds to 65 to 75 mph. In addition most don’t trust their ST tires to anywhere near their rated capacity. I am running my LT’s at 82% of rated capacity how many feel safe with running ST’s at 82% of capacity?
I'm sorry if you misinterpreted. I didn't say you drove at excessive speed. In your original post (from memory) you said the LT's offered less load carrying ability but a higher speed rating....and in this case it would require new wheels. The only positive point out of that is that you can run at higher speeds, which isn't recommended pulling a TT. So that was what my comment alluded to. I wasn't trying to "poke" you.

As far as LTs giving a higher speed rating and lower load capacity my take is this (right or wrong); a higher speed rating refers to a tire's ability to "hold together" at speed from centrifugal force.....bonding to the carcass more or less and the compounds/designs required to do this. When driving a sports car or hot rod it's extremely important that the tread stay connected to the carcass of the tire at high speeds or if you're inclined to do a burn out - or cars/trucks running down the highway at higher speeds. The load capacity refers to a tire's ability to ....."carry/hold" a specific amount of weight - 2 different things to me. The ST then takes that "carrying" capacity and tries to complement it with a suitable speed rating that takes into account what the tire was designed for -carrying a large load. Therefore, IMO you get a stouter "load carrier" but not so much a sports car tire.

You may not agree with this but it's what I've come to think from everything I've read and observed about tires over the years.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote