View Single Post
Old 04-27-2010, 10:16 AM   #4
PSDave

Location: Buena Park, CA. Lat: 33.851° Lon: -118.025° El:047'
Boondocking with solar

Our camping herritage is TT's (old ones) where the most modern convenience was a uWave oven, no A/C! So, we had an old Honda 1KW rattle-trap, and some fans. Last year, we bought a very quiet Honda 2000i. Then this year, we purchased a new Cougar 5er.

I figure that when we are boondocking during a "star party" in the desert, the solar panel (85W Kyocera) will keep up with our nightly demands ... if we use fans rather than the A/C. But, having A/C available raises the question: will the 2000i handle it? I haven't had a chance to clamp the ampmeter on the wiring for the A/C unit, and I don't know the specs for motor startup with compressor. I think it is near 17~18 Amps. But if I sneak on the blower first (get it rotating), then activate the compressor, the 2000i may handle it. Has anyone measured, and/or tried the A/C only, on a 2000i?

If I need more capacity, I will simply look for another 2000i (used) and parallel them. What is the tribal knowledge on this?

PSDave

2010 Cougar 26SAB X-Lite 5er, 2x Honda 2000i, 2x Kiocera 85W solar, 40A Xantrex reg.
-----
'06-6.0 F-250 PSD AOD, CC, 4x4 SB
AirRaid intake
BANKS Six-Gun iQ (pre-turbo Pyro)
BANKS Monster Diesel Dual Exhaust
BANKS SPEED BRAKE
SNOW Performance Stage 3 MPG-MAX Meth/Water injection (with another pre-turbo Pyro!)
Ride-Rite Air Bags (wireless)
Gear Vendors OVER/UNDER DRIVE
OilGuard bypass oil filtration system
Pullrite 18K Super Glide (auto) Hitch
Retrax bed cover
Otherwise Mostly Stock
PSDave is offline   Reply With Quote