Thread: Onboard air
View Single Post
Old 04-16-2018, 11:08 AM   #8
flybouy
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
The 450 is a continuous duty compressor. I went with that instead of a tank system. I didn’t want to mount the tank in that compartment and this compressor is designed to run with an open chuck. A tank prob would help air up tires etc a little quicker but this should work for my space and needs. I have a 3 gal 110 compressor that I can throw in the truck if needed. I actually was thinking about an inverter and that 3 gal as my solution. But to start a 1hp compressor my inverter cost was gonna be much higher than the cost of this 12v compressor. And take up considerably more of my front storage space.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 336 View Post
Didn’t take it as criticism. I looked at some tank options that viair had paired with compressors. Got pricy pretty quick. I only mentioned it was continuous duty as I’m not 100% sure how it would work with a tank. I would need a pressure shut off switch or something I’m guessing. I was under the impression that this was the type of compressor I would want if not going the tank route. Some of the tank paired options had very short duty cycles. I had one of those stupid car lighter ones that basically disintegrated trying to air my truck tires. Just seemed like more work than what I needed it for. I have that portable 3gal and a 33gal that I run the tools off in the garage. All said,I did see some cheap small tanks out there. And I understand the logic. What would be needed to rig it up in series with this compressor.
Understand the cost w/tank. I found mine at a really good price after a lengthy search over several months. You would insert a tank in between the braided compressor line and your air hose. You could use a HF portable tank ( 5 gal for $30) or google "compressor air tank". The aluminum tanks are the pricest steel cheapest. Many shapes and sizes out there. Typically they will have several ports in the tank, connect the compressor to one, the output air to another and the cutoff switch to a third. Cut off switch like this https://www.amazon.com/Compressor-Pr...shut+off+valve is about $15. If you use the HF option you could make all your connections using a little plumbing and some "t,s" but it won't be as efficient If you are keeping a 120v compressor in the garage then it would probably not be worth it as I think you would mainly use that. Nice install by the way, very neat and professional looking.
flybouy is online now   Reply With Quote