View Single Post
Old 08-10-2018, 11:44 AM   #12
JRTJH
Site Team

In another recent thread, I think the "real reason" was revealed as to why Keystone and other manufacturers make many of the decisions they make. It's about the cost of the component as much as it is about the suitability of the component. There is a discussion of why Dexter retained the 4400 lb axle after buying ALKO. The statement that was related to the poster by Dexter is because it was a "profitable axle system" and that "replacement parts are more than double the price of the 5200 pound axle parts".... He went on to say that since the axle fails often, it's a "cash cow" for the company, so they keep producing it.

Whether any of that is true is something I can't substantiate, but if the axle "works with the GVW/tires/wheels and meets mandatory minimums, if there are two choices, one costing $100 and the other costing $125. I think we all know which axles would be installed. Same for springs, tires, wheels, stoves, refrigerators, mattresses, TV's, stereo, door systems, windows (and the list goes on and on until the trailer is delivered to the dealer for sale)....

It's about money while meeting minimum requirements, not about what makes the most sense to a buyer or to his satisfaction. After all, it seems the attitude in Elkhart/Goshen is, if you don't buy it, someone else is waiting with cash in hand to put down a deposit.....

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote