View Single Post
Old 08-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #172
ajk170

WNY- we have a regular queen S/N (it's a 2005 model) in our camper that we got from a family member and since it was under warranty replaced almost all the part (not the pump since it is still fine- just not a cool and quite as our 2018 king model). And it is super light and flexible when lifting up the bed. However, that's not really an issue for us since I installed drawer gliders under the bed by cutting out the two panels at the foot of the bed and upholstering drawer fronts and installing a plywood base that I could install the glides onto. Then made a couple shallow boxes and installed the glides and drawer fronts on the boxes. I did this primarily because we use to have the "tilt-a-bed" system in stalled before it died. It was a cool idea and pulled the bed up so as to give you a foot or two more manuever space in the bedroom. But it was REALLY heavy. So much so that the DW couldn't lift the bed and admittedly it gave me a workout too. The solution was the drawers. Once the system failed, we ripped it out and just went with the mattress (which was rather heavy as well). Once the S/N bed came available, it was a no brainer for us. We did loose a foot of space and we had to change the 3/8" wood for a slightly longer piece to support the extra length, but it was totally worth it. Plus the Outback 316RL has a good spot inside a cabinet for the pump that's near power that actually puts the pump to the side of the bed which I think provides for more flexibility when the bed is lifted up. And in the rare moments that we've actually lifted the bed up since installing the S/N, it's super lite and the angle in-which you are lifting seems to be rather shallow and doesn't seem to put any stress on the connections. Actually, the bigger issue we've had is deflating it enough as we've travelled out here in the west. We went to Disneyland in Apr and going over the Sierra's (i think it was the Sierra's) we thought we deflated it enough (down to 40%) only to find that thing was really pumped up as we were crossing them (we stopped for a break and we checked it). Consequently, we took to 5% and it seemed to be fine for the rest of teh journey out there. When we came back from there, we put it at 5% and again, checked it during a break as we were crossing the mountains and it was at 55% ! No damage seemed to occur and it continues to be great ever sense, but we do watch it now! When it's in storage I think the DW keeps it pretty low due to the high temps we get in El Paso. If we didn't get this one for free, we probably would have the S/N's short queen but we both love the regular queen despite loosing some space.
ajk170 is offline   Reply With Quote