View Single Post
Old 08-13-2019, 12:26 PM   #167
JRTJH
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwemaxxowner View Post
Certainly. Haha. It's not worth that to me then, I wish it still allowed that feature. We find the quick chill absolutely invaluable when we've just arrived and set up on a hot summer day. The AC is very loud though.
The way the silencer kit works is to "bend" the incoming air to muffle the noise. What they do is close off the "dump feature" so all the air goes through the ceiling ducting and move the warm air inlet from the front (so it flows straight up into the A/C) and route the incoming air to where the dump feature used to be. That way, the air comes into the "silencer kit", makes a sharp bend, flows through the plastic kit body, makes another sharp bend and enters the A/C warm air box. Those two bends are the 'secret" to how the silencer kit muffles the "rushing air sound".

Actually, you can do pretty much the same thing and keep your dump feature by building a box located from the front half of the A/C ceiling shroud that is located forward with inlets on the sides or the bottom of that box. As long as the incoming air "bends two (or more times) as it enters the warm air return on the rooftop unit, it'll make the A/C a bit less noisy.

I've played around with a "home built mockup" that works, but looks far too "cheesey" to put on my ceiling. I got the idea from the "quiet cool" system currently used in high end fifth wheels. They route the incoming air from the sides of the coach ceiling and bend it two or three times on the way to the rooftop warm air box. My mockup only bends the air 2 times, but it's quite a bit quieter than the OEM ceiling shroud.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote