Thread: Big Trailer
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2018, 11:27 AM   #11
roadglide

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Our fifth wheel is 31' long. By today's standards, it is a small fifth wheel. In the 1960's, it was as large or larger than the largest built. We have significant problems in national park/national forest campgrounds in the Upper Peninsula of Michigan. ALL of the campgrounds along US2 from St Ignace to Escanaba are unable to fit our fifth wheel. The one exception to that is the national forest campground at Lake Brevort. There, almost all the sites are large enough to park a trailer up to 40' (with some exceptions). I haven't found any other national park or national forest campgrounds in the UP that have sites large enough for a 40 footer. There are some state park campgrounds in northern Michigan and the UP that do have sites long enough, but even in them, the approach to maneuver into the campsites is so tight it's very difficult, sometimes impossible to back a large fifth wheel into the site without hitting large rocks or falling off the roadway, into the drainage ditch on the other side. It's difficult to reserve a site "unseen" and have any expectation that the site will be large enough and the approach will be easy enough to get a 40' trailer into most sites in "public campgrounds". Many "private campgrounds" cater to larger trailers and even in many of them, backing into the site is daunting, especially late at night, when tired and things typically go wrong......
I was no older then ten my folks would go for 2 week rent a caben at Brevard lake .I remember good fishing and a very old big 2 story house across the lake with sand dunes everywhere . That was 55 years ago and brevort lake will stay with my thoughts.
2018 Milwaukee 8 FLRTU roadglide glide ultra
2018 800 Z force spot BUGGY.
500 watts of solar enough power for boon docking.
roadglide is offline   Reply With Quote