Thread: WDH Question
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2018, 08:35 PM   #5
Big Boy w/ Big Toys

Your hitch weight should be 900 pounds figured on a 12.5% of trailer weight, about half way between the minimum 10% and max 15%. So depending on trailer loading you could be a bit higher and closer to max payload then you think.

As for the WDH bars, I think they are too light, should be no less then 1k bars or better 1200 lb bars. You can reduce the load on the bars to match your load and have capacity left over. As for dropping the WDH and only sway control, take it for a ride first. I don't think you will like the way it handles. Try it both loaded and unloaded. I have a friend who just bought a camper and it needed to go back to the dealer for a few issues we found and he decided to tow it back with out the WDH bars hooked up. He is towing it with a F 450 and trailer empty and he said it towed like do do....and wanted to sway a little. Hooked the bars up for return trip and never knew it was back there.

IMO I believe that the dealers at times just throw hitches at folks and never really do any follow up or do i believe that they care.. My friend had to force them into the bigger bars when he purchased his trailer. Their answer was "that is what we sell with all our trailers" Always get the heaviest bars you can, you can always reduce the tension on those bars to make for better towing.
Big Boy w/ Big Toys is offline   Reply With Quote