View Single Post
Old 06-11-2017, 02:51 PM   #18
Rick52

Just a note to anyone purchasing a new travel trailer, or 5th wheel. The axle assembly's are not, IMHO, checked out properly before shipment to the factories, just read the threads. The factories have many components they are installing that are not their own equipment. Each of these contain their own warranty from the company that makes them. Ultimately, I believe the one item that may contain the most liability would be the axles. If they fail, you could be in a fatal accident. Even if the factory checks the axles, which I am sure most do not, unless you pick up your unit at the factory it has been towed "X" number of miles to the dealership of your choice. I can pretty much guarantee that most, if any, dealers pull the wheels and hubs on all the trailers they receive to check the brakes. Anyone purchasing a new rv from a dealer should insist they prove the brakes are in good shape or move on to one that will. My 2016 fz371 had completely trashed brakes on all four wheels, which I did not discover until I got home, 300 miles from the dealership. I checked them on my own an ended up replacing all four brake packages and repacking the bearings, which were obviously not packed properly from the manufacturer. I recently advised a friend that was purchasing a new fuzion to have the dealer pull a wheel and hub and check the brakes and they were also in bad enough shape to need replacing before they left the lot. If you ask a dealer to inspect the brakes and they balk, walk away. This is a major problem that needs to be addressed. Many people that buy rv's are not mechanics and are trusting that the unit they are buying has been completely checked out, and is safe.....You are paying good money and can't ask too many questions.....
Rick52 is offline   Reply With Quote