View Single Post
Old 03-13-2019, 06:28 AM   #27
Laredo Tugger

For the OP.
Where did "half ton tow-able" come from? My version,while not verified is,one day a lonely RV salesman was staring out his office window at vehicles passing on the adjacent interstate. He is counting every pick-up truck that drives by as a missed sale. Realizing he is not counting the half ton trucks, the light bulb above his head goes poof! And half ton tow-able is born. He now has a whole new market strategy.
So along comes Mister Half Ton Owner answering the ad for "half ton tow-able" and the games begin. Trying to find the correct TT or 5er to hitch up to and take to the road. Yes,some models exist and comply. That tilt point is the moving target on here.
I will admit that a half ton frame pick up truck is much more economical and comfortable than the larger frame 3/4 and one ton models. And when not towing it would be nice to have your TV double as a comfortable.efficient commuter. But after you put an RV of substantial size behind the half ton and load it with all of the items mentioned in previous (many previous on other threads as well) comments you are knocking on the door of limits for safe and efficient towing. I see it time and time again and I just hope nothing "gives" in the equation while this humble family travels down the road.especially in front of me on the highway.
What is my point? I believe I saw in these threads that your half ton is a Platinum model. That is the top of the line Ford package for pick-ups if I am not mistaken. In short the value of your 2017 should translate into the purchasing power for a F250 with less trim (and more payload) without taking to much of a loss. Maybe even a nice used diesel.
No I am not an expert in vehicle trade or towing combinations. But after seeing this problem (half ton towing) appear on the pages over and over I thought I would just offer another opinion.
RMc
Laredo Tugger is offline   Reply With Quote