Thread: Overloaded TV
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2018, 02:00 PM   #23
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWHightower View Post
I have experience with similar TV type (QX-56 same as Armada)as this accident towing several trailer types including 18 foot car hauler and Keystone 22 RBPR. The Armada/QX-56 is a good tow vehicle as long as you stay within the tow and tongue weights, use stabilization and drive sensible speeds for the wheelbase and driving conditions.

My other TV is a F-150 SuperCrew 5.5 bed with EcoBoost V6 towing same Trailer’s plus a Keystone 27BHS. I will say the F-150 is a far superior TV to the Armada/QX for all trailers I have towed.

SUV’s often are maligned on these forums and that, unfortunately, may be missing an opportunity to improve the owner experience for others by sharing our experience and knowledge.
My observation is that SUV owners are often less experienced towers and may not know the limitations and design dynamics of their TV. Many of these SUV are excellent tow vehicles for lighter loads including Armadas/QX. I really like when the forum community help other owners by remembering how we learned from those ahead of us on the learning curve!

Your comments and observations are correct IMO. I think the thing on this, since we are just looking at a picture, is coming up with all kinds of conjecture based on the pic. Doing so leaves the door to most any/all kinds of theories.

I think what blows common sense or advising from past experiences is the fact that there is no wdh or sway. On a GOOD day the Armada may have been up to the task with that trailer (it is a mid sized trailer) with the wdh and sway. Without those, on that kind of road, the Armada wasn't up to the task any way, shape, fashion or form. So, in the end, we aren't trying to advise a (the) driver, simply making comments about poor decision making IMO.

As far as wind, I think that is unlikely. If there was a wind strong enough to blow a loaded RV over there would have been other situations I would think. That's purely opinion based on nothing but I really suspect the driver let the vehicle/trailer get into the buildup on the edge, lost control of the trailer and had no way to get it back. YMMV
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote