View Single Post
Old 12-03-2018, 09:52 AM   #61
wiredgeorge

Not much application to an RV except if you don't move but we are out in the boonies with little access to high speed internet except for Hughesnet. It worked ok but was really expensive and speeds went into the dumpster during peak usage hours. You could stream video in non peak but in peak hours, there was some buffering. They claim 25 mbits/sec. Hughesnet was cheaper than using an AT&T hotspot by about $50 a month but still very expensive for the 50 gigs of data allowance per month. We had 35 gigs of data with AT&T.

Recently, AT&T has rolled out a technology called FIXED WIRELESS INTERNET. It is line of sight high speed internet coming from transmitters they stick up on their cell towers and is on different frequencies than cell service, as I understand it but is still fairly line of sight. The good news is that quite a few towers are getting this service for rural customers. It requires a dish/radio on your wall or roof that can see a transmit tower signal and they give you a router. This service costs $70 a month ($60 first year) and you get 150 gigs of data. My download speeds are consistent at about 30 mbits/sec and upload about 10 mbits/sec. Only negative is that their firmware keeps dropping the DHCP lease and picking up a new one far more quickly than any other service I have had and I use C-Panel to control my website and do email and this drives these services nuts. I had to make changes to the server settings to accommodate AT&T as they would not allow me to purchase fixed IP addresses. The service works great otherwise and streaming Netflix is now super at any time of the day or night. I am paying the full $70 for my first year as this allows me to subscribe without a contract as I am fully aware that AT&T customer support can be beyond painful if you want to cancel service for some reason.
2006 GL1800 Roadsmith Trike
wiredgeorge is offline   Reply With Quote