View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #8
airforceret

Thanks for the input. I do have mountain experience in the Rockies so that will be a big benefit and I do respect the signage and speed limits. I've witnessed more than my fair share of accidents in my years of travel to and from the western states over the mountains.

I also understand the unpredictable weather and am familiar with COT webcams and highway info which can be quite helpful.

If weather is an issue I don't do chains... I've got heat and plenty of food to wait it out! We've waited out storms and that time of year is usually not more than a day or so.

Our trips are about the view not a rush to our destination!

As for Moab, that has been a destination for us for many years. We've jeeped, ATVed, mountain biked, and hiked there! Not many trails we've not seen or done there! Awesome place no doubt!

We considered running down Rt 9 but prefer running 40 to Empire for the view. Our biggest concern was if there were any posted length or height restrictions we may not have been aware of otherwise I think we are good to go then! Thanks again...

BTW - As for the grades, do you know what the steepest grade might be? We've done numerous 6% and 7%, and a couple 8% but I think that's about it for "posted" grades we've encountered. I swear some must have been 9 or 10%.

<John> You mentioned fuel. Are you running your stock fuel tank? I've got a transfer flow 61 gallon replacement tank beneath the bed between the frame rails.

<Weather> Waited out the snow this past May on top of Vail Pass pulling doubles to Moab after getting caught up in a sleet storm coming out of Eisenhower! I'm doing 25 with the flashers and couldn't believe those flying past me!!! Insane...

Roger
2001 Wrangler (Moab Rock Crawler) / 2008 Can Am Outlander 400 4x4
airforceret is offline   Reply With Quote