View Single Post
Old 10-01-2015, 06:36 PM   #4
JRTJH
Site Team

We just did that trip this summer. We stayed in Steamboat Springs for a few days, then pulled Rabbit Ears Pass to Kremmling, took 9 south to Silverthorne and I-70 through the tunnel to Denver. There is about a 7 mile section of construction on 9. The entire roadway is gravel/dirt as they rebuild from the ground up. It was slow, probably an hour for the entire construction area. The remaining part of 9 is a good road with no problems towing. You'll enjoy that route.

As for the current conditions on 40 from Winter Park, over Berthoud Pass to Berthoud Falls, I can't give you any recommendations. As I understand it, the road is "much improved and wider" than it was in the early 70's. We pulled a 20' Jayco over Berthoud Pass many times "back then" with no problems. It was a "most scenic route" back then and I'm sure it's still "breath-taking", but unfortunately, we elected to travel 9 through the valley rather than take 40 over the pass. From Berthoud Falls to I-70 is an easy route. There are few services from Winter Park all the way to Empire, so be sure to fill up with the "expensive diesel in Winter Park"... Either route will be "do-able", it's more a matter of whether you want to go over Berthoud or around it on 9.

2015 F250 6.7l 4x4
2014 Cougar X Lite 27RKS
JRTJH is offline   Reply With Quote