View Single Post
Old 10-30-2014, 02:54 AM   #3
gwvwadc

Fall Creek Falls SP campground is just OK - most of the sites have been in place for years and wear and tear is evident.
Try Cumberland Mountain State Park near Crossville - nicer spaces (stay in areas 2,3 and 5 - area 1 and 4 are older). Electrical hookups were recently upgraded to 50 amp.
You can look up sites in TN. State Parks by going to the website - tnstateparks.com - there should be photos of each site. Also, keep in mind - TN went to a reservation system in the parks and you may or may not be lucky enough to get a site upon arrival if you just appear.
As far as Pigeon Forge - lots of privately operated parks - most are close to all the "action" and most spaces are on top of each other. The best (?) way to get there is I-40 to Highway 66 and in to Pigeon Forge - I say "best" tongue in cheek, as weekend traffic WILL be absolutely insane. DO NOT attempt to get there from Townsend TN - Wears Valley Road has a couple of really tight hairpin curves and is narrow - Little River Road through GSMNP is worse to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge.
There are some nice parks in Townsend (the quiet side of the park) - we stay at Tremont - sites are semi-spacious with full hookups and just outside of GSMNP. You can still make a day trip to Pigeon Forge or Gatlinburg from there.
Hope this helps.

Me, DW and Taz (Yorkie and the REAL boss!)
2013 Cougar High Country 321 RES
2010 Ford F250 Crew Cab 6.4 FX4
gwvwadc is offline   Reply With Quote