View Single Post
Old 03-01-2018, 02:11 AM   #51
Pmedic4

GVWR and CGVWR

In my state, Illinois, they also have the requirement for a non-CDL Class A or non-CDL Class B for RV's. Not surprisingly, there are quite a few people here who don't get the proper classification of license, because they simply read, RV's are exempt. But that's a separate topic.

Now, what a lot of people don't understand is, the requirement is based on the GVWR and CGVWR of their Tow Vehicle. JRTJH points this out, but people tend to miss-apply the critical factor of the RATING, not the actual weight of your TV and RV.

Likely if you have a Ford or RAM 1 ton dually (for good or bad, the Chevy/GMC models don't seem to have a rating over 26,001?), the CGVWR is over 26,001 pounds. For example, the current FORD 350 duallies are rated at 30,000+, and the RAM 3500 duallies are rated at 30,000+. Technically, if your trailer, regular or fifthwheel are rated above 10,000, yes in Illinois you would need a non-CDL Class A, and if you don't pull a trailer that heavy, they at minimum you'd need a non-CDL Class B.

So the point is, don't fret about the CAT Scales, you can simply look in a Towing guide about your truck, and it will tell you the GCVWR, and from that you would know what license you are required to have - most can do it by applying your VIN number.

So, do people do it, yes, I have full-timer relatives that drive a 40,000 pound motorhome with a Class D license (they don't tow over 10,000 pounds), which in Illinois is limited to GVWR of 8,000 pounds. I sure hope they don't have an accident. I'd hate to think what their insurance company would do if their Tiffin Motorhome was totaled.

2017 Cougar 333MKS
2015 RAM 3500 HD with 6.4L

Pmedic4 is offline   Reply With Quote