Thread: Tires Pricing
View Single Post
Old 01-28-2018, 02:44 PM   #12
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
Maybe it's just me, but I fail to see the difference in buying Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires (PN 6H04621) for $67 each at WalMart or buying the same tire (PN 6H04621) from Allied Tire Company for $149. It's the same tire from the same manufacturer processed through the same warehouse and delivered by the same truck to a different store. Other than the door you walk through to get inside, it's the same tire purchase. I don't know about anyone else, but if I find something on sale for less than half the price, I consider it a good buy (if I need it) and keep my extra money for a "rainy day". I'm generally not in the habit of donating my funds to anyone so my wallet is lighter and theirs is heavier.

So, I fail to see where your concern about using $67 tires has any bearing on buying tires. Now as for using LT tires, if you really think they are better, then by all means, install them annually if it makes you happy, but for everyone who has posted on the forum, buying Carlisle Radial Trail HD tires has not been a mistake.
FYI, The Tacoma LT 235/85-16E that came off our 5er, were 12 year old. They were still in great shape, just this last year were they showing any age cracking. The last two years before retirement, my schedule sucked so most trips were 100 to 200 miles, and I very seldom worried about the tires.

I have stated before that semis run the same tire carcass, be they steer, driver, or trailer (rib) tread. Trucking company's will cap steer to drivers, and drivers to trailer tread. Many time move drivers to trailer, when they don't have tread depth for traction, but enough to still be legal.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote