Thread: Exercise
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2019, 08:09 AM   #30
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkohler70 View Post
While at home I do conventional exercise - strength training and running. We always camp near a hiking trail so I bought some decent hiking boots and a day pack. It's great to get some exercise and enjoy nature while camping. If I'm hiking alone I'll pop in some ear buds and listen to an audio book.

I've spent lots and lots of time in the woods both alone and with others. I personally would not wear earbuds and listen to anything. I like hearing the sounds of nature. More importantly, one of our best defense mechanisms is our hearing which is removed with the buds. I've encountered bears, javelina, dozens and dozens of rattlesnakes and a mountain lion....up close - some of the snakes within 2-3' or less, a sow and her 2 cubs at about 10 yards (other times as well) and the mountain lion was at about 15 yards or so - guess he got uncomfortable with me continuing to advance (I couldn't see him) so decided to move. In every case I heard them before I saw them. In some of those cases being unaware can be very dangerous. I know everyone has their own opinions on those things but just wanted to throw that out.

Edit; I forgot about the moose laying in the tall grass a few yards from me that I had no idea was there until it snorted and raised it's head.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote