View Single Post
Old 07-08-2018, 01:52 PM   #10
xrated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badbart56 View Post
I knew I should have taken a course in electricity. So how do I accurately monitor an RV with 50 amp service?
Well, the most expensive way is to put a Progressive EMS on the trailer, either hardwired or the portable plug in type. Those not only monitor voltage on both lines, they offer surge protection (think lightning strike nearby) or some other utility snafu that may happen. The progressive also monitor both side of the incoming power for current draw (amperage), low and high voltage, cycles per second....commonly know as the frequency (60 Hz is the normal in the U.S.A), open neutrals, and probably a couple other things I'm forgetting. They not only monitor for those conditions, they will actually take your trailer off the line if you have high voltage or low voltage, and protect you from damage as a result of those conditions.

The cheaper way is to buy another one of the monitors that you just bought and plug into a receptacle that is fed from the other line coming into your trailer. Of course, all you are seeing there is voltage, and more importantly, those offer no automatic protection like the Progressive EMS systems do. Something like that is only effective if you are watching it and you see the voltage go low and take the necessary actions to turn off your appliances....

Here is a link to the Progressive web page....
http://www.progressiveindustries.net/our-products

Here is a list, copied from the Progressive page, that lists the types of protection that it offers....
Product Features:

Over/Under voltage Protection

Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Detection

Open Ground, Open Neutral & Reverse Polarity Protection

Accidental 240V Protection

Miswired Pedestal Indication

Surge Failure Indicator

Amperage Meter Display

Previous Error Code

A/C Frequency Protection

Time Delay (136 seconds)

Adjustable Time Delay