View Single Post
Old 04-23-2019, 08:33 PM   #8
rhagfo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken / Claudia View Post
Rhagfo, your right about braking during or in a curve. Don't do it, do all braking before the curve and apply the throttle after about half way though it. It is real smooth and controllable. I do it all the time, best to practice it in every vehicle I drive. The other important thing about a curve is the line you take though it. That takes a lot of explaining. Sort version is you can go high, low, high through the curve like some race cars. It's real hard to master. Best, quickest, safest way is high, high, low. That means you drive on the outside of the lane at the start through half way, then go tight inside as you speed up. I also practice that most times while driving, even towing. So on a right curve you travel near the left edge, not in the center of the lane. Continue til exiting the curve and then travel near the right edge of the lane not the center.
The point was braking unbalances the vehicle, slightly accelerating balances it, this is why to maintain control after a blowout one should slightly apply throttle. Once in directional control, then start slowing in a controlled manner.
The biggest cause of loss of control in a blow out situation is panic braking.
Visit and enjoy Oregon State Parks
rhagfo is offline   Reply With Quote