View Single Post
Old 03-08-2019, 08:15 AM   #1
Michaeldt

Am I just nervous because it's all new?

Morning,

I've been talking with friends and other campers in our church, our RV dealer, and scouring through the forum and not getting anywhere so thought I'd just ask.

When the Mrs. and I decided to shop for our first RV, I was looking at the RPod's and other smaller, very light campers. I figured a small one to start with would be great to learn, and then in a few years trade up to something larger. Most times camping will be us and our two dogs, but some times we'll have our grand children with us, sometimes 2 and sometimes all four.

What we liked about this particular model (other than the sales price) was that is has two bunks in the rear where all the grands could sleep, plus the dinette, and the queen master room.

So we decided on and purchased a 2019 Keystone Hideout 262LHS last month. Total length of this is 29'3". Our sales and service techs told us the weight on this camper is 4800lbs; sticker on the trailer itself shows GVWR at 7545 / GAWR at 3500lbs (each axle).

Our TV is a 2013 Ford F150 XLT, 5.0L V8; Sticker GVWR is 7100lb, front GAWR is 3450lbs, Rear GAWR is 3850lbs.
RV dealer installed the e2 WDH system and trailer brake system.

We've pulled the camper four times. Once from the dealership to our home (about 45 miles), then an overnight trip that was around 60 miles one way, then pulled it to our storage area, about 11 miles from the house. When on the interstate and with the truck in tow/haul mode, the front of the truck felt light while steering. I was terribly nervous when we pulled it home (was dark, raining) and tractor trailer rigs pushed me around a bit but kept it on the road pretty well with a white knuckle death grip on the steering wheel.

Our overnight trip was for a gospel music event, about 50 miles on interstate, and about 10 miles on a two lane state highway. Again it was raining but daylight up there, and dark and clear the next night on the way home. I still felt the front of the truck was light, but with drier roads I wasn't as nervous getting back home.

I've talked with my RV dealer and they want to adjust the WDH to help get more weight on the front end?

My question being; have we possibly bitten off too much camper than we can safely tow? It was a great deal, but I want to feel more comfortable when pulling the camper on trips. I'm trying to learn weights and distribution stuff, but it's quite a bit to tackle...so need some thoughts from some of you more experienced with this?

On the chance that I can't get comfortable with this, will it be a hassle with our RV dealer to trade it in for a smaller camper?
E2 WDH w/ sway bars
Isaiah 26.8
Michaeldt is offline   Reply With Quote