View Single Post
Old 10-10-2017, 02:34 PM   #19
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Landry View Post
A similar story, but not a National Park. My first trip to Monument Vally was about 11 years ago and I did it alone. While I was there, I shot a couple of beautiful panoramas and a few single frame shots at the first turnout(the Mittens and Elephant Butte) and at Artists Point. The entire area was pristine. I entered them and won a couple of digital photo contests so I was pretty pleased with the photos and the trip. I took DW there a few years later, went to the same spot because I wanted her to see what I had seen, and what a surprise. The entire area was trashed and right were I stood to take my shots, the Indian kids had tables set up selling trinkets to the tourists. We did the 17 mile loop through the park and have never been back.
We always planned our vacations in spring and fall when school was in session just so we wouldn't have to put up with crowds, noise, and feral children. That is no longer a workable strategy and we have not been back to a National Park in 5 or 6 years. Fortunately we saw just about all that we wanted to see or that she could get enough time off to travel to, and I have volumes of great photos that I took.
We now frequent the COE parks in Texas. They are all on lakes which works for us since we boat and fish, and the NP Senior pass buys alf price campsites. Plus they are close enough to home to take a long weekend. Occasionally we will wander up to one of the state parks in Arkansas, which are absolutely impeccable.
The National Parks were a highlight of my camping days, but I had sadly closed that chapter in lieu of the quest for that 40lb catfish.
It's sad that our children and grandchildren will never see the parks as we remember them, as the great scenic wonders of our lifetime. I suppose that's the price we pay for progress. On the other hand, they may not bother to leave their video games long enough for it to matter.

"On the other hand, they may not bother to leave their video games long enough for it to matter."

^^^x2. The above is so sad, but so true.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote