View Single Post
Old 12-24-2016, 04:13 AM   #9
bsmith0404

Sandy, 62 lbs per tire margin sounds good as long as your weight is evenly distributed on all 4 tires. It's not much of a margin when you consider that the load distribution in your RV could be off significantly from one tire to another. I wouldn't be surprised if to find one or two tires carrying a few hundred pounds more than the others. Lets say for argument purposes that your 12,095 is distributed evenly side to side, putting 6047.5 lbs on each side of the trailer. Now lets say that your front to rear axle distribution is 55% to 45%, that puts 3326 lbs on each tire of your 55% axle, over by 240 lbs. In reality, your side to side and front to rear distribution will both vary depending on what you carry, how you load it, and the trailer design itself. How many slides, location of the kitchen vs dinette (big weight difference) and holding tank locations (they're not centered between the axles). That makes your 62 lb margin calculation pretty insignificant. It's impossible to know what your actual weight per wire is without setting a scale under each individual tire. I prefer a little more margin that what you're working with.

Additionally, your tires will degrade. ST tire load carrying capacity (LCC) are stated to degrade around 10% per year by some manufacturers. LT tires don't advertise LCC degradation, but common sense will tell you that it happens. Again, your 62 lb margin becomes pretty insignificant quickly when you think about LCC degradation.

I'm sure CW will point out some things that I'm missing, but those are the two glaring factors that I see.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote