View Single Post
Old 12-22-2016, 05:47 AM   #3
bsmith0404

A couple things you should look at. First, the original rims on your 2013 Alpine are most likely Sendel T03. They are rated for 94 psi, so that is one concern as you step up in tire load rating. The other concern is that the rims are rated for 3580 lbs, that totals 14,320 which sounds like more than enough considering that even if you are maxed out on weight, when you subtract the pin weight, the most you'll have on the wheels is around 12k. However, the rep I spoke to at Sendel told me that he feels the T03 is too light for our RV (the weight specs are the same as yours). He compared it to an aluminum can, when you continue to flex it back and forth, eventually it will rip apart. The wheels on our trailers fall under the same principle and the weak area is where the spoke and hub meet. Some on this forum have already experienced cracks at that point on their T03s. The Sendel rep recommended the T11BM which has ratings of 3960 lbs and 110 psi. I just ordered 4 off of Amazon for $78 each with free shipping.

If you step up in wheel, you open the door to a lot more tire options. I recommend an F or G rated tire. Personally, I haven't bought into the LT tire argument. Most LT tires do not support the weights for our RVs. I did step up to the Carlisle Radial Trail RH with load range F (LRF). You have to go to a 235/85R16, but there is plenty of clearance for them. They are rated for 3960 lbs vs 3520 from the original china bombs.

On our last outing, I picked up a nail and lost one of the tires. I also run a TST 507 TPMS and HIGHLY recommend it! When I went to replace the tire, discount tire ordered in an LRE tire instead of LRF. I had a choice of waiting for another 4 days, or switching to the Hartland ST Radial All Steel LRG rated for 4079 at 95 PSI. I decided to go with the Hartland tire (They gave me the same price I paid for the Carlisle tires back on trade). I don't have much information about these tires so I'm basically going to be the guinea pig. So far they look great on the 5er, very little sidewall flex. We are taking a 5k mile trip in a couple months, that'll be the real test.

I think Alpine (another member on the forum) went to a 17" wheel and a heavier LR tire after he experienced a blow out. He seems to be very happy with his set up as well.

As already mentioned, many on here are very happy with Sailun tires as well. I recommend you step up to a heavier wheel as I have and open up your options to a heavier LR tire. I think in the long run you will be much happier/safer.

Brent
2013 Alpine 3500RE
2019 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
U.S. Air Force Retired (25 yrs)
bsmith0404 is offline   Reply With Quote