Thread: Shout Box?
View Single Post
Old 06-19-2018, 04:04 PM   #8
Harleydodge

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRTJH View Post
One problem that I can see occurring is "real time issues" in a "real time chat room" environment. You'd likely need a moderator available to monitor participants and shut down conversations that get out of hand. On the forum, as it is now, we can go back and correct/delete problems after the fact. In a chat room, once it's said or typed, it's a part of the situation for the participants who were in the room at the time.

While it's true that we don't have very many "problems" in this forum, there are occasional issues that need to be removed/eliminated/stopped. You can't easily do that in a "real time environment"....

There's an old saying that goes, "It takes 100 attaboy's to erase one Oh s**t." With that in mind, I'm not opposed to chat rooms, but is there more potential for issues to develop than for good things to develop??? YMMV.....

I agree with you 100%. I never liked a "chat room" option on a site either.
Not only does it detract from people actually posting their issues (as opposed to looking for "a quick fix" in a chat room environment) but, as you say, it requires constant monitoring/moderating and things can and do get out of hand in a hurry.

What I was alluding to was a "shoutbox", which would appear in a header (or footer) on the home page and (selectively) in all/any forum on the site, as opposed to a chat room environment.

It usually gets used for saying "howdy" and letting peeps know you're here or were here as per the time stamp and/or other small talk.
They are easily modded by all staff, should they need to be pruned or edited (as sometimes does happen, admittedly)

Anyway, I've said enough . Just wanted to explain the difference.
If it's opposed, so be it. As I said, it was just a suggestion.

2013 Raptor 310ts Toy Hauler
2017 Dodge Ram 6.7l CTD DRW Laramie Longhorn
2008 FLHTC Harley.

Harleydodge is offline   Reply With Quote