View Single Post
Old 08-21-2018, 07:10 AM   #25
sourdough
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laredo Tugger View Post
The mix and match of a proper TV for a given TT or 5er can be confusing. It would be nice to have some guidelines of official standards (sticker on the trailer) stating "this trailer should be towed by the following vehicles", but I can already hear RV dealers whining nation wide. I guess in effect that is what we try to do here and many other numerous threads like this one, but with all entries being only opinion.
And before anyone tries to lecture me on the realities of such a proposal, I get it that there are many factors that go into the equation for the "correct" TV. Some that do not deal with weight at all. Finances and floor plans come to mind,to name a few. And I understand what a problem it would be for someone to tell the truth about tow vehicle capacities (matched to specific size trailers), obviously "tow capacity" is not working . We can't even get truth out of major media outlets, why would we expect it anywhere else. I guess some will say they don't need big brother telling them what they can tow with,but then maybe you do. But I guess that is what freedom is for, which I whole heartily support.
Just an observation, you may return to your regular scheduled programming now
RMc

I think "big brother" is neck deep in vehicle safety etc. already. As far as trucks and towing, I also think we have tons of information and criteria so that an individual can study them and determine exactly what they need......IF they do it with an open mind, objectively and not with a pre-conceived outcome ie; "I've already got this truck/trailer etc. so I've GOT to make these numbers work.....some way" - which is the case far too often. As I said, the criteria is there. The problem is education of first time towers or others unaware of the available data.

My first "RV" was a shop built cab over camper. That thing was HEAVY. Dropped it in the back of a new 1969 C10 Chevy long bed. It dropped the bed badly. Added overload springs and traveled all over CO like that. I had no idea of weights, gvw, gawr etc. It was a "truck" and that camper went in a "truck". Fast forward to current days and anyone familiar with towing is usually familiar with the weights and how they interplay.

How do we fix overweight combinations? I don't think there could be a tag on a trailer that said it can be towed by a, b, or c. Too many pitfalls. Could the RV dealer be forced to require the numbers from your tow vehicle to match to the proposed RV? Yes, but then that would almost put them into some sort of "enforcement" role which they will not want to do, and then, what do you do about all the private sales??

I think in the end we are in about as good a place as we can get without letting "big brother" become too intrusive. At some point the owner HAS to have some sort of accountability for what they are doing and the choices they make. Does that leave the rest of the public at the mercy of those that won't follow the weight limitations? Yes. But, that's the way it is with everything else; driving under the influence, robbing, murder, etc. We all have to deal with those that believe the rules are "for someone else", or they will never be caught. That's the way it is in a free society and I believe will have to stay that way so that we retain freedom of choice. Those that choose to disregard the rules and then cause damage or injuries due to their negligence should then have to pay to the fullest extent of the law. JMO
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote