View Single Post
Old 11-14-2015, 11:24 AM   #1
jje1960

18 Watt Solar Panel

5th Wheel all winterized for this year (sigh..) Every other year, we have just left the unit plugged in with an extension cord into our garage. I do not wish to remove the battery, at times going into the unit during winter and being able to extend the slides is necessary. This year, not wanting to deal with the cord under the snow across the driveway anymore.... I've purchased an 18V solar panel with charge controller. It's been plugged in for over a week now and working out fine. With the propane detector and other parasitic drain, I don't believe the battery would last more than a couple of weeks (we don't have a battery cutout). Over the past week I've checked it a couple of times, in the morning, the battery has 12.4/5 volts. In the afternoon, the battery is reading 12.6/7 (AGM 55Ah Deep Cycle). I'm sure I'll need to ensure the snow does not cover the panel periodically, however seems like this is going to work out fine. Only about $79.00 cost, worth it to me to not have the unit plugged in all winter.
jje1960 is offline   Reply With Quote