View Single Post
Old 09-10-2019, 07:53 PM   #8
sourdough
Site Team

[QUOTE=purebred;358228]We are full timers and more than just weekend campers. I know other things fail in a given time. After retiring as a heavy equipment mechanic and welder i have more than figured things fail over time. Preventive maintenance does wonders but also know that electronics can cause a multitude of problems for people. Just curious if others feel the same way that life is complicated with all the electronic do dads that exist and adding more to our daily lives makes us more dependent on electronic controlled things and if others have the fortitude to change it or not.[/QUOTE

I was on the front end of the "new" electronic/computer age. I programmed in binary and hex. The books required for the "database" were huge, complicated and time consuming. Looked to me then like we were on the cusp of really remarkable things. And we were, but…..

Folks have given up their independence, self knowledge and discovery to give it over to an electronic world that now provides them with knowledge, guidance and yes, moral, spiritual and just "everyday" guidance - based on the motivations of whatever they are reading. Scary and dangerous.

My truck has the Uconnect 8.4 w/Nav. Yesterday they decided they needed to download some "upgrade". Now my system has been working stellar. All of a sudden I lost my blue tooth, Sirius, volume, backup camera and everything else. Could do nothing...nothing to make the popups stop and get anything working. 7 hours later I managed to get it going, by luck I believe. I had no control and was completely at the mercy of "whoever" was doing this to something I owned. In Command? I never want one. Is that the way of the future? Probably....and it makes me sad; I like physical, manual switches.
sourdough is offline   Reply With Quote