View Single Post
Old 10-29-2016, 04:01 PM   #1
hdxbonez

Adding rigid insulation to the underbelly

Another modification that I've been working on to prepare for full time use in the upcoming New Hampshire winter, is to add rigid insulation to the underbelly. I had previously found that Cougar's Polar Package consists of little more than a couple ducts from the furnace that dump into the enclosed underbelly. I've also added a couple of holding tank heaters and a warm air circulator that I discussed in a previous post. But there isnt any insulation to help retain that heat. I wont be towing my unit this winter, but I might have to move it on my property in order to accomodate some upcoming logging work. This ruled out building a skirt around the unit, so I decided to add insulation to the bottom of the unit. A $250 trip to Lowes provided some angle brackets, 'S' hooks, 1/4" line, and R10 2" rigid foam shiplap insulation sheets. I intalled the angle and hook assemblies down each side of the camper, using the bolts that fasten the skirting to the frame. Next I threaded the 1/4" line down the length on the camper just like a shoelace. I cut the sheets to fit across the frame, interlocking them with the shiplap, and snugging the line as I worked my way back. The insulation is now held tight against the coroplast, covering the underbelly completely across the frame rails, adding R10 where there was none before. I'll fill any remaining voids with loose fiberglass insulation and call it good. I wouldnt try to tow with this setup, but at least I can move it around my lot, and I think it will eliminate as much heat loss as a full skirt to ground would.