View Single Post
Old 10-13-2019, 07:10 PM   #21
ATXCharlie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybouy View Post
The "why" is not important, an autistic child, a family member with dementia, doesn't matter.
JM2CW
Thx flybouy - exactly right - it doesn't matter why. I have my reasons and my preferences.

Including a big one just added to the list today, which I discovered while removing the unit: There's clearly been a big mouse party in there, going back who-knows-how-many years. See the duct pic and imagine the blower blowing air over the mess in that duct, etc, sending that air into my living space. In case the pic isn't clear, it's mouse droppings and nut husks in the duct.

Anyway, no on/off switch was evident, and disconnecting a wire necessitated pulling the unit for access, so I pulled it out and it's not going back in.

I capped the gas line, put a 2'x2' board on the floor, put steel wool in the ext. vent tubes and will add insulation there. Still need to cover the two duct holes on the vertical wall.

I will probably buy a small hotel-room-style safe and stick it in there, and use magnets to make the louvered cover easy to remove/replace. Good place for passport, cash, laptop, and such.

Hot-tip - at least in my rig, a 2011 26SAB 5th, the furnace shares some wires with the fridge, which I figured out when the "auto" light went out. Fixed that and everything's good.

Tomorrow, I might remove all the ductwork.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191013_100551-COLLAGE.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	365.0 KB
ID:	24055  
ATXCharlie is offline   Reply With Quote